3 March 2021
For people suffering from diabetes, choosing a healthy diet can be a cumbersome and challenging task. Snacks play a vital role in a diabetic’s diet, as they keep blood sugar levels steady between meals and exercise.
Having long gaps between meals and exercise can dangerously affect your blood sugar levels, and this is where having healthy snacks in between help steady your blood sugar levels.
Stable blood sugar levels can slow the progression rate of diabetes and reduce the risk of other complications. If you have diabetes, it becomes essential for you to keep a strict watch on your diet.
You should take small and healthy meals throughout your day to check your blood sugar levels while avoiding those with a high percentage of fat and carbohydrates.
This blog will discuss ten healthy snacks that people with diabetes should prefer between their meal and exercise schedules. The key to choose a healthy snack is one with high fiber, protein, and healthy fats. These nutrients help keep control of your blood sugar levels.
- Whole-grain snacks made of cracked wheat, oats, and rye are healthy and help lower blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels. To give these snacks a delicious spin and enhance the nutritional value, you can eat them with hung curd or cottage cheese.
- Boiled eggs are the best snacks for people who have diabetes and can be eaten at any time of the day. They are super healthy, rich in protein, and nutritious, keeping your blood sugar levels from rising too high. Boiled eggs are suitable for people with hyperglycemia as they are low in carbs and high in minerals.
- Chickpeas can be as nutritious as any other food, highly beneficial for diabetes, and it is easy to prepare. Regular consumption of chickpeas can play a vital role in preventing the progression of diabetes. Roasted chickpeas are a crunchy snack that is low in calories and high in protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Cottage cheese is a healthy snack, and eating it can help you manage your blood sugar levels. Cottage cheese is rich in nutritional value and can be cooked into some healthy and delicious snacks. It tastes great plain, but you can also try it with some fruits and veggies to make it tasty and add extra nutrients and fiber.
- Berry Smoothies are an excellent way to get nutrition while snacking. Berries are not only rich in antioxidants but are also high in nutrition and low in calories. Berries count low on the glycemic index, which is the reason that makes them the best choice for people who have diabetes.
- Popcorn is a popular and a healthy whole-grain snack, which is full of nutrients such as fiber and magnesium. It is one of the best snack for people with diabetes because of its low calorie density and aids weight control. It is advisable to have light-microwaved popcorns and skip the pre-packed ones that have extra salts and fats.
- Salads can be a part of your regular diet to fill-in gaps between meals. Adding carrot, cabbage, sprouts, and veggies of your choice to salads make it high in protein and fiber, and help controlling your blood sugar levels. Salads are easy to make and give you a dose of minerals, vitamins, and fiber that suppress your hunger efficiently.
- Nuts are not only crunchy, tasty, and nutritious, but are beneficial for people suffering with diabetes. Nuts are high in protein, provide healthy fats, and low on carbs. They provide polyunsaturated fatty acids that help in controlling blood sugar levels and improve heart health by reducing cholesterol levels.
- Combining yogurt with fresh vegetables and fruits makes your snack rich in minerals, vitamins, proteins, and calcium. Yogurt has the ability to control blood sugar levels because of the probiotics present in it and improve your body’s ability to metabolize foods that contain sugary content.
- Sliced apple or toast with peanut butter makes for a healthy and delicious snack for diabetic patients. Apple is a rich source of nutrients including vitamin B, vitamin C, while peanut butter provides vitamin E and magnesium. A slice of whole-grain bread with a swipe of peanut butter and resins gives you a tasty treat while managing your hunger.
Apart from these healthy snacks, regular monitoring your blood sugar levels also help you in managing your diabetes. Self-monitoring diabetes with glucometer and diabetic test strips is a great way to home monitor your blood sugar levels.
Through this blog, we have tried to present some of the healthy snacks that you can have in between meals to control your blood sugar levels while suppressing your hunger. We would be back with more such meaningful insights on diabetes management, till then; Stay Safe and Stay Healthy!
Disclaimer: We at sellmystrip.com cannot and does not contain medical or mental health advice. The medical mental health information is provided for general informational and educational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional advice. Before you take any actions based upon such information, we encourage you to consult with the professionals or helathcare specialist.
With diabetes, whether type1 or type 2, understand...
For diabetics, it is always challenging to get acc...