12 January 2021
Diabetes has reached a level where we can consider it an epidemic among adults and children worldwide. People who have diabetes need to manage their blood sugar levels, as uncontrolled sugar levels may lead to severe consequences leading to heart attacks, kidney failures, etc.
With diabetes, your eating habits matter a lot, as eating certain foods can increase your sugar levels, creating complications. People with diabetes should avoid food that consists of carb, protein, and fat, as they have the highest impact on your blood sugar levels. For people living with diabetes, it does not mean that you have to remain void of your favorite food.
You should know how to balance your diet and eat healthy food while still including the food you enjoy. Maintaining a low carb diet can help you control your blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of complications.
There is no perfect food for diabetic patients, which will work for everyone suffering from diabetes. Your food preference, culture, and lifestyle all have a vital role in deciding what diabetic diet will best suit you in managing your blood sugar levels. But there are a few food items that every diabetic patient needs to avoid, to name a few;
- Sugary Beverages: Drinks or beverages that contain a lot of sugar like energy drinks, soda, and shakes should be avoided by those who have diabetes. These beverages contain a high percentage of fructose, which can directly affect your blood sugar levels.
- Saturate and Trans Fat: Fried and processed foods are the primary sources of saturated and trans fat. Such fats do not directly affect the sugar levels but can increase the risk of inflammation and belly fat in people with diabetes.
- High Carb Foods: Processed foods that consist of a high amount of carbohydrates like white bread, rice, refined-flour, etc., are foods that people with diabetes should avoid. Consuming high carb foods can significantly increase blood sugar levels and cause severe complications for people who have diabetes.
- Sweetened Yogurts: Flavored yogurts are low in fat but high in sugar and carbohydrates, which can raise your sugar levels. Rather than having flavored yogurts, it is recommended that people with diabetes have plain cow milk yogurt, which has no sugar and would be beneficial in terms of health aspects.
- Dry Fruits: Dry fruits are a rich source of concentrated sugar and carbohydrates compared to fresh fruits. People with diabetes should avoid eating dry fruits and rather eat fresh fruits to maintain optimal sugar levels.
- Canned Juice: Fruit juice is considered a healthy beverage and can significantly affect the blood sugar levels of both type 1 and type 2 diabetic patients. Fruit juices contain sugar similar to sodas and other sugary drinks.
For diabetic patients, whether type 1 or type 2, having a healthy and stable diet plan can help you manage your blood sugar levels. A balanced diet can help you maintain your health, overall well-being, and protect you from future complications. When it is about controlling your blood sugar levels, the food that makes your diabetic diet includes;
- Food items made with whole grains such as brown rice, oatmeal, a baked sweet potato with no or very little added sugar in it.
- Fresh and canned vegetables can be eaten raw or lightly steamed and consist of a low sodium quantity.
- Fresh or frozen fruits without added sugar can be the best food items to be included in your diabetic diet.
- If you are a non-vegetarian, having low-fat meat, including plant-based protein, will maintain your protein requirements.
To conclude, it may be challenging for people with diabetes to understand what to eat and whatnot, but following a few simple guidelines can help you maintain your blood sugar levels.
Avoiding foods that increase your sugar levels can help you keep healthy and prevent you from future complications. With this blog, we hope that we have briefed out the foods that people with diabetes should avoid to stay healthy by controlling their blood sugar levels.
Sellmystrip.com helps you to make money by selling your unused diabetic test strips to us.
Stay Safe and Stay Healthy!!
Wish you a very Happy and Prosperous New Year.
For patients who have diabetes, taking regular and...
Have you ever wondered why people are coming out m...
During the outbreak of Corona virus worldwide, man...