12 March 2021
Having a chronic disease like diabetes makes it all the more important to monitor your health care during pregnancy because your body changes dramatically. Pregnancy and diabetes are not a risky combination, but you can take precautions to deliver a healthy baby.
You need to put your mind at ease, regularly monitor your blood sugar, and make healthy lifestyle choices to give your baby a healthier start.
- Seeing your doctor for pre-pregnancy planning is the most important factor in determining the best outcome for you and your baby. You have an increased risk of miscarriage and high blood pressure, which you can minimize by consulting your doctor. Based on your diabetic condition, your health advisor might suggest you change medication, get treatment for certain conditions, and seeing a specialist avoid any future complications. Your health advisor might ask you to go for an HbA1C test to check your average blood sugar levels and suggest you reach a recommended level.
- Focusing on your blood sugar management is the key to avoid any diabetic complications, and when you are pregnant, it becomes all the more important to manage your diabetes. If your blood sugar levels are not controlled in the early stages of your pregnancy, then you might have the risk of miscarriage or the baby’s risk of congenital disabilities. Your health advisor will help you to establish a range of target blood sugar levels. He or she might review your treatment plan and can make changes accordingly.
- Eating a healthy diet will also help you in managing your blood sugar levels. Your diet plan should include fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. You need to consult a dietician to help you customize your diet plan to keep your blood sugar levels in the target range and lose weight during pregnancy. Your health advisor might advise you on some vitamins like Folic Acid to prevent neural tube congenital disabilities.
- Physical activity is another important factor in managing your diabetes during pregnancy. Consult your health advisor to get an exercise plan that best suits your medical condition. Start slowly and build up gradually to be more active and do activities you enjoy like walking, yoga, meditation, etc. Physical activities affect your blood sugar levels, so always remember to measure your blood sugar levels before and after physical activity.
- During pregnancy, you need to check your eyes and kidneys to make sure that there no concerns relating to the same. Pregnancy increases blood pressure and puts extra strain on your blood vessels in these areas, which are already at risk when you have diabetes.
- Quit smoking, lose weight, and avoid alcohol consumption are few other important aspects that can improve your general health and prepare your body for pregnancy. In case of overweight, you need to seek your healthcare advisor’s advice on how to lose some pounds. Making changes to your diet and regular exercise can help you manage your weight during pregnancy.
In this blog, Sellmystrip.com tried to discuss some steps to help you manage your diabetes while you are pregnant. During pregnancy, you need to be extra cautious compared to normal women having diabetes, as this affects you and your child’s health. The points or steps mentioned in the blog are just for the information purpose and don’t provide any medical assistance or advice.
It is recommended to consult your gynecologist or health advisor if you have any health concerns or questions. We will be back with more such meaningful insights on diabetes management; till then, Stay Safe and Stay Healthy!!
Disclaimer: We at sellmystrip.com cannot and do not contain medical or mental health advice. The medical mental health information is provided for general informational and educational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional advice. Before you take any actions based upon such information, we encourage you to consult with professionals or healthcare specialists.
Having a chronic disease like diabetes makes it al...
Diabetic test strips are the easiest way to monito...
For patients who have diabetes, taking regular and...
During the outbreak of Corona virus worldwide, man...